Planning on visiting the good old Angel Island? It’s time to get a fresh new feel for your favorite game with these Sonic 3 AIR mods. We have gathered a list of the best and most popular mods for Sonic 3 A.I.R. that guarantee new, unique, and extremely fun gameplays.
Sonic 3: Angel Island Revisited (A.I.R.) is a popular game developed by a fan, Eukaryot. It is an enhanced version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles that brings all new features, such as 16:9 widescreen support, a new time attack mode, constant 60 fps gameplay, and many different tweaks and bug fixes that were all much-needed.
Although the game is regularly updated till date, there are still some areas that could use some improvements. And for that, we bring to you the best Sonic 3 AIR mods. Below, we have listed 13 most popular mods to have ever released for Sonic 3 AIR. So let’s take a look at them, shall we?
List of the 13 Most Terrific Sonic 3 AIR Mods [RANKED]
#13 Sound Additions
This is one of the best Sound mods for Sonic 3 A.I.R. that adds the original sound effects from the Origins’ S3&K to all the silent sections of the game. For instance, the mod will add sounds for when Sonic jumps or transforms in the AIZ intro, during the Carnival Night’s Boss ball dropping, or other similar areas.
What’s more, the mod also manages and fixes sounds wherever needed, while adding some really cool music tracks. How cool, right? So if you are looking for a great Sonic 3 A.I.R. sounds mod, get your hands on this one now!
#12 CartoonAnimate22 Sprites
This sprites mod for Sonic 3 A.I.R. replaces the sprites of three playable characters with some really cool sprites from The Spriters Resource and some new ones made by the mod author. There is also an edited version of the data select mods and title screen support customized especially for this mod.
The sprites used in this mod are exclusive. So you won’t find them anywhere else. Get your hands on them now from the link below.
#11 Bossbar HUD
The Bossbar HUD mod adds a new bar in the boss fights so that you are always aware of your progress. All the boss fights in the game have been covered so you can have a constant look at your progress as you fight them. Although minimal, this visual change will make a huge difference in your boss fights.
#10 Original Zone Order
The Original Zone Order mod puts a Flying Battery between IceCap and Carnival Night as it was intended before the game is split in two. However, the transition from the Mushroom Hill to Sandopolis is not as accurate as the latest concept art yet.
#9 Blue Glasses Eggman
The Blue Glasses Eggman mod changes the glasses color of Dr. Eggman to blue, just like it is in the OG Sonic 1 and Sonic CD games. This has been done to keep him more in line with the original concept art of Sonic Team.
What’s more, Dr. Eggman will even laugh whenever a playable character is hit. How fun, right? The edits have been made to give parity to Sonic 3 A.I.R. The mod is compatible with many other mods by MrGrassman14.
#8 Sonic 3 Complete Sprites
The Sonic 3 Complete Sprites mod replaces the vanilla sprites with more sprites. It rips sprites from Sonic 3 Complete to add them to Sonic 3 A.I.R. So in addition to a complete set of unique Super Sonic sprites, there will also be a set of tweaked sprites from the normal Knuckles, Tails, and Sonic.
Some of these sprites come with massive changes than others to offer a fresh new look. The tweaks have been done to give some sprites a more polished and refined look, especially to Knuckles.
So get your hands on this mod now if you are looking for a mod that adds more sprites.
#7 Ultimate Metal Sonic
The Ultimate Metal Sonic mod adds a Metal Sonic to Sonic’s slot in Sonic 3 A.I.R. The new Metal Sonic comes with extended custom moveset, a complete animation set, and much more. Some of the movesets and abilities include Bullet Deflection, Electromagnetic Discharge, Overdrive, Floating, and Super Peel Out.
Here’s what all this mod adds to Sonic 3 A.I.R.:
- Max speed animation when Sonic is completely transformed.
- A complete Sprite sheet with new custom sprites.
- Complete compatibility with smooth rotation options.
- Menu names, sprites, and goalpost with end credit sprite and a new handmade portrait for save game.
- Fire exhaust will now remain unaffected by changes in the palette.
- Metal Sonic will be able to break non-knuckles walls and rocks with his overdrive attack.
- Nine all new palettes for Metal Sonic.
Check out the mod page below for compatibility and load order details.
#6 Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition
The D.A. Garden Edition mod brings a lot of new content from both the exact ROM hack D.A. Garden Edition and A.I.R. to the vanilla Sonic 3 A.I.R. game. Below is a complete list of what this mod adds to your favorite game:
- Enjoy special stages and new level layouts tailored for A.I.R.’s feature set and widescreen ration from Angel Island Zone to the Doomsday Zone.
- Enjoy two distinct modes to prove your speed superpowers by entering the Challenges menu. The Time Stone Trial mod or the Time Attack mode are two new modes where you can show off your speed supremacy.
- New weathers and times of day to get a fresh new feel in the game.
- A Green Sphere game mode to boast your special stage supremacy.
- Adjusted level layouts from the original ROM hack to bring back zone gimmicks and maintain flow.
- A more difficult game for Knuckles’ campaign as multiple Eggrobos are out to keep Knuckles away. Moreover, there is a new set of Blue Spheres special stages.
- Go to the Options menu to activate the Marathon mode and submit to speedrun.com.
The mod requires game version v22.08.27.0 or later to work. Check out the mod page for the load order.
#5 Extra Slot Mighty
The Extra Slot Mighty mod adds a new character to Sonic 3 A.I.R., called the Ultimate Mighty. This new character has been added without overriding any existing slots. So you will have an extra hard-shelled fan-favorite hero in the game.
Mighty the Armadillo is a super fun character who can scale large wills by jumping walls and bash through badniks by hammer dropping. So visit Knuckle’s routes in the Angel Island act 2, Lava Reef act 2, and Ice Cap with this mod.
Mighty is able to do so many cool moves and has many abilities, such as Spike Immunity, Bullet Deflection, and more.
Here’s what else is possible with this mod:
- Sprite fixes
- Toggleable Doomsday Zone
- Toggleable smooth sprite rotation
- Toggleable DA Garden style banners
- Mighty accessible as “05” from the Level select.
- Spawn point fix for when you start in Knuckle’s route in Angel Island act 2 and Ice Cap Zone act 2.
- New game portrait in the data select.
- Consistent portraits and icons for his palettes.
- Chaotix, Mania, and Megamix icons for the main menu and HUDs.
- Sonic 3-style sprites.
- and so much more.
So get your hands on this mod now to get a new and super fun character. The mod requires above v22.09.10.0 game version to work. Check out the mod page for the load order.
#4 Arifkunviid’s Miles with Custom Super Form
As you can tell from its name, this mod transforms all of Tails’ sprites with Arifkunviid’s s3 styled tails sheet. The mod also adds some minor edits, including new Tails’ tails and some end poses. What’s more, Tails Alone will now have a separate continue screen, there will be new animations for looking up, down, or being idle, and the endings will have new sprites poses.
Moreover, the mod also adds a custom Super form for Tails, bug fixes for the flickies, and a third color for Tails.
#3 Sonic Mania HUD
This mod replaces all the vanilla HUD elements in Sonic 3 A.I.R. with those from Sonic Mania. So if you are a fan of Sonic Mania HUD elements, get your hands on this mod.
#2 Modern Sonic Moveset
The Modern Sonic Moveset mod brings a hybrid Modern Sonic to Sonic 4 A.I.R., featuring the moves from Colours, Adventure 2, and Generations. To make the most of this mod, you will need to use it with a controller.
Here is a list of all the moves this mod adds:
- Air Boost: When you have boost and are in the air, press X for an air boost. It will accelerate your forward and also give you a boost you when you land.
- Lightspeed Dash: Hold A when next to the rings and the you will dash in their direction. It will refills your boost gauge.
- Boost: An activated boost gauge by X that is refilled by destroying badniks and getting rings. You will move forward at high speeds with a boost effect and after images behind you.
- Stomp: Press B when in the air to stomp on the ground. When you hit the ground, the SFX will now play instead of playing when you press the button.
- Somersault: To do a somersault, press B when on the ground.
- Air Dash: When in air without boost, you can try to boost for an air dash.
- SA1 Spindash: For an instant spindash, press B.
- Colours Double Jump: Isn’t as high as a normal jump but can save you from making mistakes when platforming.
What’s more, the mod also adds some custom sprites and replaces Sonic’s eyes with green ones. It is compatible with built-in mod settings that you can use to edit Sonic’s moves.
#1 Mania Tails for Sonic 3 A.I.R.
The Mania Tails mod for Sonic 3 A.I.R. replaces all the sprites of Tails with his original game sprites from Sonic Mania. This includes HUD sprites, blue sphere sprites, tail sprites, and the full Mania palette. So if you are looking for those amazing OG sprites from Sonic Mania, get your hands on this mod today!
So that’s all, folks! This list sums up the best Sonic 3 A.I.R. mods of all time. These PC mods bring fixes to many in-game bugs and also offer an all-new experience by adding new characters, sprites, improvements, HUDs, and other content. So go ahead and download them now for a fresh new Sonic 3 A.I.R. experience.